Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Reds are for Real!


So anyone who knows me, knows I'm a big Cincinnati Reds fans. And although, I'm very much looking for the college (and pro) football seasons to start, that doesn't mean I'm not pumped about how well the Cincinnati Reds have been playing.

As of today, the Reds are only a half a game back with the St. Louis Cardinals. I have an inkling that this battle for the top spot in the NL Central won't stop until the season is over. These two teams are playing very well.

Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, and Scott Rolen are just three of the many reasons that the Reds are playing as well as they are. I had wondered if they needed a homerun hitter on their team. I thought maybe they needed a replacement for Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr. But seeing how they're playing right now, they are doing just fine with what they have.

Usually, it seems that the Reds can get all of our hopes up, only to crumble either right before, or right after, the All-Star break. That is not the case this year, as they have been consistent pretty much all year.

The only concerns I would have, is once they get into the playoffs, playing these top teams, like the Atlanta Braves, and St. Louis Cardinals. And of course, if they do make it to the World Series, them having to play a team like the New York Yankees, would definitely be intimidating.

However, the Reds have proven that they are for real. They have proven that they can play with the big boys, and they can even make it to the All-Star game!

With only a couple of months until the playoffs start, I can only hope that the Reds will continue to play consistently, and play consistently well. Their team looks good. Their pitching doesn't look bad. I really think they've got the team to do it this year. We'll see what happens.

1 comment: